One of the most frequently asked questions we hear is “How long will our HVAC system last before it needs to be replaced again?” Well, there are simple and complicated answers to that question.
The simple answer is most companies agree homeowners can expect their system to last between 15 and 25 years; however, no manufacturer makes their systems exactly the same and the quality of materials used contributes to the system’s life expectancy.
The complicated answer is the life of your system is dependent on how regularly it’s maintained. While sometimes our HVAC system is affected by technical or mechanical problems that are beyond are control, many times systems malfunction because they aren’t cared for properly. Below is a chart outlining the average life expectancy of an HVAC system based on the maintenance performed.
- No Maintenance – 8-12 years
- Little Maintenance – 12-18 years
- Some Maintenance – 18-20 years
- High Maintenance – 20-25 years
In order to keep your system running optimally, it is essential to change your filters regularly (one to three months, depending on the level of debris). Use a HEPA filter, which are better at filtering the air, removing nearly 99% of particles. Routinely checking for dirt and debris, replacing refrigerant insulation as necessary, and getting seasonal tune-ups will also help keep your unit running well for longer.
If you find it’s time to replace the system, remember a few key points to make your experience better:
- Research several makes and models to find the best system to meet your needs. The Internet is a handy tool, but your trained HVAC technician has first-hand experience and will be able guide you in the right direction.
- Get several quotes before committing to anything.
- Make sure your technician is licensed, insured, and factory-authorized to install the system.
A&A Mechanical is a licensed and insured HVAC contractor with more than 30 years of experience in HVAC tune-ups, repairs, and installation. Call us today at 215-396-1525 to get a free estimate!